June 16, 2016

When Art Speaks to Your Heart


On June 12, I was visiting a friend in Washington DC when I learned of the Pulse nightclub shooting. News of the heartbreaking tragedy hung heavy in the air. At the Renwick Gallery, an installation by Gabriel Dawe gave my heart a much needed lift. His floating visage of embroidery thread (60 miles of it!) was a beautiful rainbow in the middle of the room. Check out this article for a description. 

The photo was taken by my friend, looking at me through the rainbow. The adoption of the rainbow by the gay community is fitting in so many ways. It's a symbol of beauty, a hope-filled promise, and a message that diversity enriches us all. 

If only the haters in our world could be outfitted with rainbow-colored glasses. 


No comments:

Post a Comment