January 23, 2017

Encouraging Words Shared


So, here's where kitchen table activism ends up: on the streets of our nation's capitol. I've just returned from the Women's March on Washington DC and am grateful to have shared Encouraging Words along the way.

After a lunch break at the National Portrait Gallery, I distributed over 80 written messages from my cohorts in Florida to many weary, but smiling faces in the courtyard. The group at the table next to me was from Minnesota, I believe ( I wish I had written it down).  And the woman standing with the banner is from Arizona. It was a melting pot of people.

Sharing words of encouragement to fellow marchers was my way of contributing to the greater good. I would much rather foster positive energy than throw stones at others or engage in futile arguments.

This event was a meaningful introduction to political activism and I have much to learn about civic engagement. For now, I am just happy to know that many people returned home with some encouraging words from Florida in their pockets. I do hope they will help us sustain energy for the work to be done ahead.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson


No comments:

Post a Comment